Central Bedfordshire Children in Care Council

Your workers

During your time in care you may have a number of workers that you will come in contact with, we have listed the main workers and their role. This can be very confusing and so if you are not sure who does what then ask your social worker.

Social Worker – A child or young person in care will have an allocated social worker from the Looked After Children, Leaving Care & Asylum Team. You may already have a social worker from one of the Family Support Teams.

Social Work Assistant – you may also be allocated a social work assistant who will also support you.

Personal Adviser – when you reach 18 you will be allocated a personal adviser who will support you in the transition to adulthood. This worker will be able to offer you support until you are 21 or 25 if you are in higher education.

Foster Carers / Residential Key Workers – this will depend on where you live. Both of these will offer you day to day care, make sure you go to school, keep your room tidy and look after you making sure you are safe and happy.

Foster Carers’ Social Worker – foster carers are also allocated a social worker to make sure they have the skills to look after you.

Independent Review Officer – you will be allocated an Independent Review Officer (IRO) when you come into care. The role of the IRO is to ensure that you are being looked after and that the local authority is doing all they can for you.

Participation Officer – the participation officer supports the Children in Care Council as well as organising fun activities during the school holidays and the annual awards evening.

Advocate –some young people find it useful to have an advocate when attending meetings, an advocate will ensure that your voice is heard within the meetings. An advocate can also help you if you want to make a complaint to the local authority.

Independent visitor – this is a person who will visit you regularly and offer support to you. You may be able to take part in a hobby or sport with your independent visitor or just talk to them.

Advocates and Independent Visitors do not work for the local authority.

Looked After Children’s Nurse – the nurse will meet you for your health check, the nurse is specifically for looked after children and young people. 


No comments have been left for this article

Have your say...

Your name will be published alongside your comment but we will not publish your email address.

All comments will be reviewed by a moderator before being published.

Please ensure you complete all fields marked as mandatory.

Past Events

Corum Voice Winner CiCC Ambassador Natasha Rowe and Dr Who! Read More

 Tasha 2




Latest News

Mind of My Own App   

Virtual Apps to stay in touch and help to protect children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing.

 The Mind of My Own App gives children and young people in Central Beds a voice and helps them to communicate and tell us how they feel about the support they are receiving and their wishes and feelings. Children and young people said they find speaking this way much easier. It can be translated into over 100 different languages.

The App is mainly used with children up to the age of 15. For more information please access the poster attached.Mind of My Own Information

Care Leaver AppThe Care Leaver App, which is free to download and includes information, advice and guidance for care leavers across a range of subjects including Benefits and Entitlements, Housing, Managing Money and Advocacy.

What else?

  • The App can be used without the need for an internet connection
  • Content within the App can be translated into several languages.
  • A directory of local and national services and organisations that can offer further help and support
  • Listings of local events, activities and meetings.
  • Events are searchable by keyword and date.
  • A contact page for the leaving care team, including any emergency contact details, and much more
  • Find the App by searching “Central Bedfordshire CLA”.
  • The App is for Care Leavers that are aged15 and over.

For details and support for both Apps, please call 0300 300 4992 or email cicc@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

The Children in Care Council (CiCC) felt that some of the words that are used for children and young people in care and those leaving care, could be replaced with words that are positive and make them feel empowered. They created a 'Dictionary of terms’ to help those working with children and young people Providing Language That Cares

The regional Children in Care Council have devised top tips to support those who work and engage with children and young people and to encourage good practice.Top 10 Tips for Central Beds Practitioners

CiCC Ambassadors at the House of Lords

Football Image 1 
Football Picture 2 

CICC Football Tournament

CiCC receive 'Thank you' messages from Frontline Participants